Fischism

Fischism is so the cousin for you.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Why Mags shouldn't drink so much coffee

Leonie: AHA!
Leonie: I've found the fundamental flaw
Mags: it's mind boggling
Leonie: see, Liam's *ten* hours ahead of me
Leonie: I'm *seven* hours ahead of you
Leonie: now add that
Leonie: is that fifteen, little Margaret?
Mags: it might be
Mags: I'm gonna look stupid in that aren't I
Leonie: it's 17 hours difference
Leonie: so it does work out
Mags: ok wait
Mags: this confuses me way more than it should
Leonie: so if it's 12pm my time
Leonie: it's 10pm for Liam
Leonie: and 5am for you
Leonie: and 5 and 17 is 22
Leonie: i.e. 10pm
Leonie: tee hee
Mags: christ
Leonie: how about you post this, titled 'the follow up'
Mags: wait...
Mags: I'm so confused
Leonie says: alright, I'm going to ask you a couple of questions, and you have to answer them for me, k?
Mags: like seriously
Mags: I fear I am quite stupid
Leonie: 1.What's the time difference between you and me?
Mags: 7 hours
Leonie: good girl
Leonie: 2.What's the time difference between me and Liam?
Mags: 10 hours
Leonie: you're on a roll
Leonie: 3.What does 7 and 10 add up to?
Mags: 17
Mags: and that's where I get confused
Leonie: k, bear with me
Leonie: 4.If it's 12pm my time, it's 10pm for Liam - true or false?
Mags: true
Leonie: 5. If it's 12pm my time, it's 5am for you - true or false?
Mags: true
Leonie: 6. 10pm is 22:00 hours - true or false?
Mags: true
Leonie: 7. 22 - 17 = 5, true or false?
Mags: true
Leonie: almost there
Leonie: 8. When it's 12pm for Leonie, it's 10pm for Liam and 5am for Mags. Because Mags and Leonie are 7 hours apart, and Liam and Leonie are another 10 hours apart, Mags and Liam are 17 hours apart, as ten and seven is seventeen. 10pm is 22:00 hours, and 22 - 17 is 5, i.e. 5am - so, the first statement is valid. True or false?
Mags: holy bollocks
Mags: Mags and Liam are not 17 hours apart
Leonie: why aren't they?
Mags: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Fischismblog/Timezones.jpg
Mags: because
Mags: look at all the times
Mags: I have no idea
Leonie: Sydney 's got a *
Leonie: that means there's something different
Mags: Mags = 1:42am
Mags: Liam = 6:42am
Leonie no no
Mags: pm
Leonie: Mags = 1:42pm
Mags: I'm 1:42pm
Mags: Liam = 6:42am
Leonie: so that's 10 hours and 18 minutes to the next day
Leonie: say it's 2pm for you
Leonie: it's 7am for Liam
Mags: the * is daylight savings
Leonie: 31-14
Leonie: round it off
Leonie: it's 2pm for you
Leonie says: that's 14:00 hours
Leonie says: say Liam's had 24:00 hours because it's the next day for him, and add the 7 hours because it's 7am for him
Leonie says: from 14:00 to 24:00 is 10 hours
Leonie: add the 7 hours to make it Liam's 7am, and again, the difference is 17 hours
Leonie: it makes sense, doesn't it?
Mags: no
Leonie: why not?
Leonie: hold on, I'll draw a picture for ya
Mags: I don't really know
Leonie: brb
Leonie: perhaps you're the visual kind of thinker
Leonie: if this doesn't make it clear to you I don't know what will
Mags: ok...wait
Mags: that doesn't help sorry
Mags: this might just be something I'm never going to grasp
Leonie: go to sleep on time tonight, lay off the coffee, and try again tomorrow

Mags would like all cute and single Math majors to email her with their details. She also categorically denies coffee or lack of sleep had anything to do with the outcome of the conversation you have just read. Fast forward to next week: "Hello, I am Mags, and I am not addicted to caffeine." group: "Hiiiiii Mags." Mags has also ordered her very own 'Death to Daylight Savings!' T-Shirt.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home